As a grass roots organisation we value:
- The strength and inspiration gained from the work and skills of people with a mental illness, their families and carers.
- The availability, talents and willingness of volunteers, drawing much of our energy and knowledge from volunteers who are also carers.
- The work and skills of others within the fields of mental health and caring; within our advocacy role we operate respectfully and in collaboration with them.
- Equity of access to our services for people from diverse backgrounds, geographic locations and cultural groups.
- Our staff and each other; within Arafmi we treat each other with respect and we care for our staff and appreciate their contributions.
- A culture of excellence, seeking continual improvement and enhanced responsiveness to carer needs in providing services.
- Efficiency, value for money and service quality in responding to the requirements of our funders.
In all our decision-making we are guided by ethical considerations which promote the welfare of carers and people with serious mental health problems over the needs of the organisation.
Arafmi’s logo is a picture of the Coolibah tree (the Flooded Box tree), accompanied by the words, “You are not alone”. The Coolibah tree was chosen by Arafmi Sydney in 1975 (now Arafmi NSW) and adopted when Arafmi was formed in Brisbane, signifying the recognition of the hard journey carers can travel. The Coolibah grows by streams and has thick foliage, providing shade a refreshment for the weary traveller.