Carer Connect is a program of flexible support for carers of people who have a psychiatric disability,with a focus on aging carers. Carers make a very valuable contribution to the lives of others but sometimes lose sight of their own needs. Carer Connect aims to address some of these imbalances and this may in turn protect and support the caring relationship.
What do we offer ?
We provide you with individualized support in a safe environment which may include:
- An assessment of your needs to determine how we can best help
- Home visits
- Emotional support
- Referrals to other services and networks
- Information and advocacy where appropriate
- Attendance at meetings with government officers to support you if required
What are possible options ?
- Time to discuss issues that you are currently facing and assistance with problem solving alternative solutions
- Develop plans and strategies to help you deal with difficult situations
- Referral to other ARAFMI programs including respite care, support groups, individual counseling and educational groups
- Helping you complete forms for Centrelink,Disability Services,Queensland Transport etc
- Information and help to connect with various community agencies providing support
Who is eligible to use Carer Connect?
A carer eligible to use this service will meet the following criteria:
- Live in the greater Brisbane area
- Care for someone who has a psychiatric disability as their primary diagnosis
- Families and others who are voluntarily caring
Objectives of the Program:
- To maintain and enhance the viability of the caring relationship by providing support for carer/s
- To develop individual plans risk management strategies to safeguard the social and emotional well-being of carers
- Facilitate community links for carers
- Develop community acceptance and awareness for carers
How much does it cost ?
This service is free
Foe more information or to register with the program please contact the Key Worker, who will arrange to meet and discuss your needs.